Monday, February 6, 2012

The camel and the eye of the needle

Last night my friend Molly and I decided to go lay under the stars behind our dorm.
I needed a break from studying and Molly is a great friend and always willing to go on adventures with me :)
We grabbed a bunch of blankets, bundled up and headed outside.
Back home in Toledo, I can't see much of the stars but here in Cedarville, the stars are so vivid. I was looking forward to just laying down and seeing God's handiwork.

We talked, laughed and I was shaking because I was cold (normal)
Molly told me she loved the biblical analogy of the moon. Seeing as I never heard this analogy before I asked her to explain. She told me the moon doesn't produce it's own light, the sun casts the light on the moon, therefore because of the sun we can see the moon. This is the same for us. We cannot shine the Gospel on our own, God shines His light on us and therefore we can be seen.
I love this. Don't you?

We also got onto the topic of Jesus's parables and His reason for speaking this way throughout the gospels. I asked her what her favorite parable was and she said the camel and the eye of the needle. Really, this is a fantastic parable and has been running through my head all day.

Jesus states in Matthew 19:24 "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."


During this time period, in order for a camel to enter the gate called the eye of a needle, it first had to stop and have all its bags removed. After dark, when the main gates were shut, travelers or merchants could 
use the smaller gate, through which the camel could only enter crawling on its knees. 


Brilliant.


It's easier for a camel to enter the eye of the needle then for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
We have to fall on our knees before God. Humble ourselves before the King.
Really, I am getting goosebumps.
The power of Jesus's words in this parable. Oh how I wish I was there to hear him.


Let us fall on our knees and humble ourselves before the King.



3 comments:

  1. Ooooo Mel!!! I love this! I've never heard it before. I would be the girl that Jesus would have to explain and re-explain his parables to a hundred times over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is becoming so fluid :)

    beauty beauty beauty

    ReplyDelete