Monday, April 16, 2012

Bitterness

"Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger"
Ephesians 4:26


This verse hasn't always settled with me well. I am an internal, therefore sometimes I need to go to bed angry in order to finish processing why I am angry, don't I? 
Well, no.
I don't believe God gave us this command in Ephesians just to be overlooked.
If it was something humans naturally did, would God need to command this of us?
No again.
I've discovered when I go to bed angry, bitterness begins to seep into my heart and then that bitterness begins to grow.
I know what bitterness feels like. I've battled it all my life. I've let bitterness seep into my heart and have control over me. And quite frankly, I don't want it controlling me anymore.
Obviously God understands the destroying ability bitterness has on human hearts therefore he commands us to not let the sun go down with our anger.
All of a sudden, this passage isn't quite so unsettling. 
It all makes sense.
Yes anger is real, yes I do get angry, but I don't have to let it control me.
I need to control my anger, not let my anger control me.


Melanie 

No comments:

Post a Comment