Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sabbath

When I returned to Cedarville, I had to go to a few meetings because I am an RA. After the first few mandatory meetings we had a choice to where we wanted to go, I chose a session called Silence and Solitude presented by one of the RD's here at Cedarville. She talked about the importance of the sabbath and the reason behind it.
God began to convict my heart, and I realized I do not set a day aside for Him. A day where I do nothing but delight in Him. As a college student, I make up every excuse in the book like "i'm too busy" or "I can't give up a whole day of homework" or my favorite "I just don't feel like it". I'll admit it, sometimes I just don't feel like spending time with God. It's a constant battle, but i've discovered the more I delight in Him, the more I desire Him and I think that's how it should be.
Because it's not practical for me to give up a whole day, i've decided to commit a few hours on Sunday's to delight in Him, let Him teach me and just relax. I tried this last Sunday and I felt much more ready to begin my week and I was excited to go to class and learn.

God restores me when I am weak. He makes me whole when I am broken, and He loves me despite my failure to Him.

Will you join me? Commit just a few hours one day a week to Him. I'm up for the challenge, and my wonderful roommate Hilary is holding me accountable. Yes, this may even mean you have to do homework on a Friday night, but I promise, you will survive :)

1 comment: