Friday, May 25, 2012

Patience

In the past month, God has been teaching me things I never thought I needed to learn, things that I hadn't even thought of before He placed them on my heart. 
When I openly asked God to teach me this month...boy did He answer my prayer.


In my New Testament class, my professor gave us a list of key chapters to study, memorize and recite on a quiz. I now know that Galatians 5 is fruits of the spirit. John 10 is Jesus as the Shepard. Romans 13 is obedience to the government. 2 Thessalonians 2 is the antichrist. 
1 Corinthians 13 is the love chapter. We all know that, don't we?


 "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"
1 Corinthians 13:4-7


I have heard these verses spoken at weddings, I have seen them printed on anniversary cards, I have been taught them in sunday school, I have highlighted them in my own Bible. 
But God has been teaching me exactly what they mean.


Love is patient. Alright, patience. Seems easy enough.
Well, not exactly. I'm not always the most patient person on this planet. I would rather know now then later. Wouldn't we all? 


The neat thing about God is how patient He is with me even though my heart fails Him every day. 


"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever"
Psalm 73:26


If God is patient with me, why should I deny that patience to someone else? 
After all, God is love and we can only love because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) 


When I read 1 Corinthians 13, I begin to see that this theme of "love" that I had to memorize for a quiz goes much deeper than human love. 
God's love is a gift to humanity and we ought to see it as just that, a gift. 
I'm continually amazed that the only reason I can love is because He first loved me. 


I'm thankful for His patience with me and His kindness.


Love is patient.


Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment