Thursday, December 22, 2011

A day of baking!

To start off my day, I went to take my car in to the shop just to be looked at. It didn't take as much time as expected so I had an hour to kill before heading to the Kulmatycki's to bake! I decided to go to Mcdonald's to get some breakfast and read a bit. I opened my Bible to Hebrews which is where I have been reading and an older gentlemen walks by. He stopped and asked me "do you believe what you are reading?" I smile and nod yes, and he continued walking and said "good, i'm glad".
Moments like those make me smile. I have never met that man before but we are united through one person, Christ.
After I finished eating I headed to the Kulmatycki's to bake!
For those of you who aren't familiar with the Kulmatycki family, I will tell you about them :)
I started babysitting their four girls fall of my senior year of high school. Sarah was 11, Erin was 8, Allison was 5 and Meredith was 15 months old.
Meredith could not say my name but to try she paired Melanie with something she was familiar with, watermelon. My name then became "Watermelanie". It was hilarious to hear her call me that because really she only made it harder on herself :)
I got really close to them my senior year and I continued to babysit them through the summer before I left for Cedarville in the fall. We stayed in touch all through my freshmen year of school and I was asked to babysit every break! I have really enjoyed watching how Courtney and Chris parent because I respect them and I have also really enjoyed getting to know these four little girls.
Now Sarah is 13, Erin is 10, Allison is 7 and Meredith is 3. Time flies.


Today, we baked! I came over around 10 and we baked until 1pm! We had many laughs, which mostly involved Meredith. She was given two tasks. Her first task was unwrapping the hershey kisses but she wasn't allowed to eat any. The best was catching her when she stole one. The look on her face was priceless. Her second task was icing the sugar cookies. This was hilarious. She had her own bowls of icing because we knew what she would do and we were correct. She would ice one cookie, lick the knife, dip the knife back into the icing, ice another cookie, and repeat. It was really quite funny to watch.
Allison was my helper. We made the peanut butter chocolate cookies from scratch! She helped me mix the ingredients and roll the dough and loved every minute of it.
The two older girls worked on the seven layer bars, which personally, are my favorite!
After that we had lunch and played a few games...why Allison laughed so hard she cried over the word "ballpark" is a mystery to all of us, but she had the whole house laughing with her.
It was a good day :)

Melanie

1 comment: