Monday, December 12, 2011

What do we think when we see a disability?

John 9:1-3:
As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus answered, "it was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him." 

This mans blindness was purposed by God.
What do we think when we see a disability?
I know this thought crosses my mind: God messed up, something went wrong with me/them, my/their life can't be complete without _____.

"Go and wash in the pool of Siloam (which means sent). So he went and washed and came back seeing"
John 9:7

Jesus healed this blind man. The blind man could not see Jesus, but Jesus saw this blind man.
He was born blind for a purpose just as I was born the way I was for a purpose.

As I listened to the wise words of Jason on Sunday morning, I teared up thinking of my little cousin Alyssa. Alyssa was born with a "disability". She is not disabled, she is differently enabled. There are things Alyssa can do that I can not do. She has a purpose. God did not make a mistake, he created her deaf for a specific purpose one only she can fulfill.
When I was home over Thanksgiving break, my aunt told me a story about Alyssa. She is now in the second grade and children are starting to notice she is "different" therefore she is beginning to encounter the ignorance of little children.
Alyssa has joined brownies and my aunt was dropping her off at her first meeting. Typically my aunt stands in the back with the other parents and watches the different activities that go on. Well, this day Alyssa was asked to go to the front of the room, a little girl whispered to her mom "she's different". My aunt walked outside of the room knowing she had to let Alyssa handle this on her own. Alyssa went on with what she was asked to do, ignoring the little girl.
After brownies my aunt asked Alyssa if she had a good time, Alyssa told her yes and said she wanted to go back next week.

Alyssa knows she is "different" to the world but she also knows she is special to her Father.
The world is going to constantly tear her down, but the Lord will consistently build her up.
She is a gift, regardless of her imperfections. She did not commit some great sin, nor did her parents. The Lord created her this way because she has a purpose.

When God creates people, he does not create them wrongly.

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment