Saturday, December 3, 2011

Seeking meaningful friendships

Friendship, defined by the dictionary: a state of mutual trust and support 


I have been evaluating and trying to define what it means to be a friend. What is a biblical friendship? Can friendship between a guy and a girl truly work without there being deeper emotions involved on one end? 


I know the Lord designed us to live in community and states that we are more powerful together together then apart. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10) But I discover these friendships are hard to form. It's hard to find someone who intimately knows your heart and one who I can open up to about all of my fears and flaws. I guess I am afraid of showing someone who I truly am so I hide or I pull away from something that could be good. 


I do have one person in my life who is my best friend. She does support me in all I do and encourages me to embrace my uniqueness. She is constantly an encouragement, she builds me up instead of tearing me down. She knows my heart, my secrets, my fears, my failures, my flaws, yet she loves me the same. She loves me as Christ has loved me and forever I am grateful for her and her friendship. Many of you know who I am talking about and I am blessed to call her even more than a friend, she is my sister. My sister is the main reason I am who I am today, she introduced me to the Lord and helped teach me to walk with Him daily. We grew up being each other's support system and best friend. Of course since there are a few years separating us, we went through a period where we hated each other, but that is to be expected...I was a rather annoying junior high girl ;)
That being said, sometimes it's hard for me to be away from her at school. I do have a great community of girls here at school, but nothing can quite compare to the bond I have with her. Life just seems more complete when we are together. 
I miss her, but I am thankful for her. She is truly my best friend and is the most real person I know.
She has showed me a little bit of this unconditional love the Lord has for me.
Thank you for being a constant in my life Sis, you're truly special to my heart and I value your friendship and your sisterhood :)


Oh and did I mention, someday we are going to have matching town houses, right next door to each other, connected by the master closets, or bathrooms? We haven't quite decided all the details yet ;)
But we have come to the conclusion that our husbands are just going to have to accept this :)


Love you sister,
Melanie 

3 comments:

  1. Crying. Needed that. But you already knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friendship is so special; I'm thankful you have each other. God is good to have brought us all to Himself. :)

    ReplyDelete