Friday, December 23, 2011

To have the faith of...

Recently I have found myself thinking what it would be like to have the faith of Noah, Abraham, and even Joseph. 

What would I do if God told me He was going to destroy all of the Earth but I was going to live because He found me righteous?
"But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord" Genesis 6:8

What would I do if God told me to sacrifice my only son?
"Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you" Genesis 22:2 
Would I have enough faith in the Lord to trust what He asked me to do?
Abraham trusted that the Lord would provide the seed. He knew that if his son died, the Lord would either raise up another seed or raise this seed back to life if he died on the alter. 
My heart desires this faith. 

What would I do if I was to be married and I found out my wife was pregnant. Pregnant with a baby that was not mine. Would I trust her story? Would I believe the angel that appeared to me?
"...An angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit...When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife"
Matthew 1:20&24
I desire to trust like Joseph trusted. 

I realize I stink at trusting the Lord and having faith in Him. I fail all the time when it comes to trusting Him with my future. Sometimes I feel I can figure it out on my own and if I do there are no "unknowns" because everything will be planned out. I've realized recently, my life is not my own, therefore I cannot plan too far into the future. When I replace me with God, it's an idol. When I worry instead of trust, that's an idol. 
Reading these stories and many other stories in the Old Testament has shown me the need to have the faith of Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, Samuel, the prophets, and the list goes on.

Lord, please give me the the faith of Noah, Abraham, and Joseph. I know you have a plan for me and I know I am called to trust in You.

Melanie 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I've been thinking similar thoughts. Love that you're writing them out!

    ReplyDelete