Friday, December 2, 2011

Seeking Love

Every morning for a couple hours I travel to downtown Dayton to observe a fourth grade classroom. Most of the students live below the poverty level and are begging to be loved. I have heard some heart wrenching stories but I have also seen the Lord working. I have two students in my classroom who are siblings. The little boy is older because he was held back a year. His younger sister takes care of him and makes sure he turns in his homework. Their mother passed away last year and I just learned that their father is chronically ill. The kids are constantly wondering and worrying about where they will go after their father passes away and who will love them. They are 9 and 10 and do not deserve this. Suffering is so evident in their little eyes and I pray someone would reach out and love them.


On a more positive note, I have seen the Lord working in some young hearts. One of my friends is in a kindergarden classroom. One day their teacher announced they were going to learn about space. One little boy raised his hand and asked, "and Jesus too?" Then more children chimed in and said yes, can we learn about Jesus? Being in a public school, my friend could not say anything. I couldn't help but smile, my heart was warmed after hearing this story. 


Although my time with these students is coming to an end, I pray they will be loved and will not be afraid to love in return. I am grateful for this opportunity, I have definitely been stretched and challenged in ways I never expected.

1 comment:

  1. It makes my heart so happy thinkin' of all the lil kids you will love on. :)

    ReplyDelete